
This doll is inspired by a picture of Calvin Klein standing in front of a great English Mansion dressed up in classic equestrian garb. When I was a teenager I used to take riding lessons and got to wear those funny pants with the lining in the insides. I loved the costume, the tack, cleaning the mud from the horses hooves with a hoof pick, and brushing the sweating horses after a nice ride around the ring. My favorite horse was a huge black and white Pinto named King.



5 comments:
Jami used to ride english, and still has her saddle. I think cleaning the horse was her favorite part.
There's something so intimate about cleaning the horses, it makes you think that for just a few minutes you are really that creature's best friend. And what little girl doesn't want a horse for a best friend?
King belonged to my favorite barn friend, Jamie. I loved King too. Do you know that I did a Dressage show riding King?
I enjoyed mucking out the stalls. I loved the fuming warmth and heady stench of the unpacked manure mixed with sawdust. Crazy, but I still love driving by stables and getting a good whiff of manure.
I love the doll too. My favorite is that coat for both its lining and the split slit in the back. Like its really fancy, but it doesn't quite fit right.
Ditto on grooming the horse. That was my fave part of my own equestrian training at Pace U. at Briarcliff Manor back in the 80's. My own favorite horse was all white, but he had this strange idiosyncrasy of just tripping over his own front legs and going down for no reason at all. I would go flying over his head and land in the sawdust, but never thought it was a great idea to use him as a schooling horse...
Holy smokers, he's fantastic!! I love the lining on the coat and matching cravat. I can't believe all the detail that went into sewing that whole outfit. You should be on Project Runway for Dolls.
King was definitely the best horse! I do remember that he was one of the tallest ones in the stable as well. He was the one I was riding when all the horses in my class spooked at the same time and he threw me and almost trampled me. Ah, fond childhood memories.
Post a Comment