Saturday, November 11, 2006

The New Baroque painters in NYC



Ever since I saw my first gallery exhibit by painter Karen Kilimnik, I felt there was hope for me as an artist. Her paintings have been called a "potpourri of nostalgia, projection and adolescent reverie is losing its fragrance." so sweet and sentimental which I love, but at the same time have this sort of coolness to them that makes them so contemporary in feel. It seems like she is one of the few artists who can pull this off without irony. I think to be ironic you have to be bitter or upset with something or have some weird perspectives that I lack. Anyway, she just had a show at 303 gallery (my favorite). One of Karen's tricks is to paint icons from magazine pictures. She especially liked using Kate Moss and Leonardo DiCaprio for a while. Then she gives them made up titles that jerk you straight into her little fantasies. For example, this one is called 'Prince Desire on a break from Sleeping Beauty out at Petrossian's for dinner'.
Also, up at CANADA gallery is the work of Rosson Crow, whose hotel lobby paintings really remind me of Karen Kilimnik's ballroom interiors. I love it when these type of coincidences happen. Rosson went to art school with me. She has the longest eyelashes of any girl I've ever seen. She just got her masters from Yale in the painting dept (I'm soooo jealous!) and is a shooting star. These colorful smeary paintings that are totally dark and scary at the same time.

1 comment:

The Editor said...

Wow. I love her work too. Love that one with the black chairs in the ballroom. She has great style. Thanks for writing art stuff. Keep it up. Even though I'm a dog, i'm interested. Arf!