
The other day I caught a snippet of one of my favorite movies, Little Women, on T.V.
I love the way girls of this era spent their time constructing creative activities for themselves: Creating clever crafts out of what scarce supplies were available, knitting, sewing, inventing costumes and putting on plays, and of course, playing outside! When I think of these industrious wholesome ladies I like to think of my mom and my sisters... my mom was sure to teach us all how to embroider, to quilt, and to sew. I'm not sure what purpose any of these skills will serve me but it does make me feel like a 'refined lady'! Around the time I saw this old movie I was inspired to take up an old pass time that I never quite got the hang of, watercolor! I am quite certain that Louisa Alcott would have fully approved of my replacing late night T.V. time with watercolor time! I've developed a secret habit...of ducking back into my office late at night to make one watercolor in my lined sketchbook before bed. It only takes a moment but I feel in those minutes like I've got a passport to another time and place! I just think of a theme and let my inspiration take me there. Some of my watercolors look like they belong under a magnet on Grandma's refrigerator but each little painting seems to get a little better than the last.
Previously I was focusing on birds inspired by the antique bird sculptures at Anthropologie. Right now the whole world seems to be a little bird crazy! Here's an owl that I think came out particularly well.

Lately I've been visually exploring the Galapagos islands and have gotten to know the seals, tortoises, penguins and blue-footed boobies... I've been looking at travel magazines and wishing I could go there and see the magnificent docile beasts that Charles Darwin encountered. The following are all animals found on the Galapagos islands...

Kah Leong thinks the boobie in this picture looks like it's wearing a snorkel mask and just needs a breathing tube to make the picture complete...

I loved painting the shimmering fur on this 'fur seal'.

This amazing 'Marine Iguana' is the only lizard that spends part of its time under the ocean- it forages for algae growing on the underwater rocks!

The ocean behind this group of penguins was dark blue with a green reflection but I let it become a pattern of abstract stripes without realizing it. I think David Hockney would approve :-)

The last penguin in the line had a little accident of some kind, as you can see his tail bled a little, he is also in some sort of a big hurry! Maybe he is embarassed because of it? Anyway, the combination is sort of comical to me...

The colors on this giant Galapagos tortoise painting are so muted and old school, like something from the 70's, it reminds me of something I would look at in a picture book in my parent's basement when I was a little girl. I can imagine the corners of the pages would be mildewed...

That's the end of my art show! Come again! All paintings can be purchased on my Etsy!

5 comments:
You have such a sweet spirit Annie. I love to see your work in any medium.
These painting could form a book and you could do a little narrative of what 5 year old Darwin might have said when he made his first, secret visit to the islands years before anyone recorded his more famous later visit!
Love Dad
I'v really been enjoying your blog Annie!The little sketches you've been doing about different artists are so enlightening.
This post was wonderful and touched my heart strings. It reminded me so much of my family. I love your water colors. Perhaps if there are ever some for sale, (when matt is employed again):) i could buy some.
Ooh, keep going with this series. The first blue footed boobie is my favorite. It's so regal looking.
If you want to see boobies for yourself, you could also head to "the poor man's galapagos" off the coast of Peru...
http://www.overlandtraveller.com/destinations/peru_ballestas_islands.html
I went with mom and we loved it!
Hi Annie! It was so nice meeting you last week! I love your blog and your recent pictures are wonderful! I wish that I could just spend a few minutes every night painting a little water color that would look as nice as yours! :)
It is looking like we might get out your way soon. I'll let you know the dates when I know for sure. It would be so fun to see you guys again!
Rebecca Call
Annie:
I love the pictures and post.
Remember that massive pile of National Geographic magazines in the basement? That was fun to go through.
Post a Comment