

These paintings of antique keys are inspired by my love of Hugo Guiness' stark black and white woodblocks I posted the other day.
I based the images partly on a real key I found in a bead shop, partly on my imagination... I live in a hectic block right by the Lincoln Tunnel in New York City, a dingy part of town. But from my 8th floor studio window I glimpse the birds gathering on the tops of a beautiful tree in a private ladies garden across the street. When I go shopping I walk by the high brick walls and sealed doors of this special secret garden. There are cracks in the garden wall and little tongues of ivy and flowers come through to tease me. Maybe with one of these keys I could sneak inside the ladies garden on a moonlit night and climb up into the branches of that forbidden tree?

1 comment:
I love your posts and your art. They both seem to get more and more beautiful and wistful all the time.
Dad
Post a Comment